Sunday, April 17, 2011

Aata aut Gond Ke Laddoo - आटा और गोंद के लड्डू (Wheat Flour and Edible Gum Sweet Balls)

Hello Friends,


After a while, I am here with an authentic Rajasthani recipe. This is a laddoo recipe which I made for my dear friend R, who delivered a princess 4 days ago. This laddoo is made for new mothers to help them with their strength and increase in their milk supply. It is also made and eaten during winter months to keep bodies warm, specially for someone who has Arthritis. My MIL has it regularly during all winter months and when they came for my older boy's delivery, she brought me a big supply of these laddoos, almost triple the size of the laddoos that you see here in picture. I used to hate jaggery then and only I know how I ate them, but somehow now I loved them, weird right, when there is no need to eat them? But, then who can stop me from devouring such delicious laddoos any time :)

Aata aut Gond Ke Laddoo - आटा और गोंद के लड्डू (Wheat Flour and Edible Gum Sweet Balls)
Ingredients
Aata (Whole Wheat Flour) - 2 cups
Mixed Nuts - 1 cup, chopped, I used an authentic mix of cashew, almonds and pecans
Gond (Edible Gum) - 1 cup
Jaggery - 1.5 cups
Kali Mirch (Black Pepper) - 2 tsps, coarsely ground
Ghee (Clarified Butter) - 1 cup
Preparation

  • Take 2 tbsp ghee in a non-stick pan and roast all nuts till golden brown and keep aside.
  • Take 2 tbsp ghee in the same pan and roast gond crystals, till golden brown. They originally look like mishri or rock sugar crystals (clear color), but once they are roasted, they look white (like sago papad). They basically get puffed up when roasting and you have to let them all nicely roasted. Keep them aside. I quickly blended to crush them to coarse powder. You can use your hands too for this, as they are easily mashable, but I was just in hurry :)
  • Grind Jaggery too to fine powder.
  • Heat the rest of the ghee in the same pan and roast aata till nice aroma comes and it has a nice color. Take it off the heat immediately.
  • Mix everything (including black pepper) in a big bowl and let it cool down till you can shape the mix in ball form. Make them into desired shaped or sized balls and enjoy :)
Note: The quantity I used made me about 20 odd laddoos of the size you see in the picture.
Serving
Serve them as mentioned above. For someone like me, who likes things warm, nuke it in Microwave for about 5-10 seconds before eating. If you think it is mouthful, feel free to add little warm milk and eat it like a pudding.

Thats'a all for now. Take care till next post.

33 comments:

Krithika said...

looking yummy Priya...sure it tastes yummy as well!!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Ladoos look super tasty and fulfilling. Excellent preparation.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Prema said...

Healthy Laddoos,luks Perfect and Tempting...

sangeeta said...

This is a family favorite Priya..
We do not add kaali mirch normally but i know i would love it . A mixture of khuskhus , almonds and kaali mirch is good for migraine and i take that in the form of laddoo sometimes , so i know this gond ka ladoo will be great with kaali mirch too.Normally this laddoo is a winter thing at our place , and some root turmeric and ginger is also added sometimes ( the way it is made for new mothers)..i am having dreams :)

Mélange said...

I haven't made such a laddoo so far.A very innovative recipe.Tempting !!

Rani acharyulu said...

Wow,delicious Laddoos.Once i tasted these laddoos one of our friends house.Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

chef and her kitchen said...

Looks really yummy that laddoo...healthy too..:)

Raji said...

Healthy laddoos..my mom too made these for me after my delivery..I love them.

Treat and Trick said...

Yummy balls that is full of goodness! Wanna a piece now....

Nandinis food said...

Ooh! Those laddus look very gorgeous! Yum!

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Very very inviting...

Anonymous said...

love atta ke ladoo but what is gond / edible gum. pls post a pic for this.

pls do check the new event at my site : summer coolers

Priya Suresh said...

Feel like munching some laddoos, soo yummy..

sanjeeta kk said...

You reminded me of my pregnancy, priya ;) mom made these for me and I had a feast!

Indrani said...

laddos look so yummy..it's so nice of you to make them for ur friends

divya said...

What a flavorful and healthy laddooo!! Looks soo inviting :)

veena said...

Want to try this Priya. It is so inviting

Sharmi said...

looks so good and inviting:)

Shobha said...

Nice laddoos ..lovely clicks..they look so tempting.

harini-jaya said...

Mouth watering ones..Just the other day my friends were asking me for this recipe..My mom had made these laddus after I delivered my 2nd kid.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

I am salivating here...slurpppppppppp
Tasty Appetite

Suma Gandlur said...

Laddus look fabulous.
The first time I heard about this edible gum was from a Gujarati friend. I do keep seeing this gum in the Indian grocery stores. Do you use it for anything else?

aipi said...

I love love love these laddoos- they have come out so perfect dear..

US Masala

Unknown said...

Yummy laddus..Loved the click..

R said...

they look sos healthy and delicious!

Swathi said...

Atta ka laddo looks awesome love them.

Swathi said...

Atta ka laddo looks delicious.

swapna said...

I tasted this in my friends home....thanks for the recipe!!Looks yummy!!

Reeni said...

How sweet you are for making these for your friend! They look delicious - I could eat them anytime!

Unknown said...

How and on which stage did u add jaggrey in it ?

Unknown said...

How and when did u add jaggery in it?....i mean in hot or cool mixture...

Unknown said...

Shuchi, I added the step. Thanks for noticing and letting me know.

vibrantindiatours said...

Lovely post! Full of information about your flavourful recipes :)
Thanks very much for sharing!
Chinese Restaurant in Karol Bagh

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails