Monday, April 5, 2010

Daal-Baati-Choorma - A traditional trio recipe of Rajasthan

Hello friends,


Hope you all had a great weekend. Thought of sharing something very traditional and exclusively Rajasthani. They are called Daal-Baati-Choorma. I am sure other cultures also have something similar to this. As I was born and brought up in Bihar, I know that they have something similar which is called Litti which is stuffed with Sattu (fried Chickpea Flour).


Today, I am sharing a plain baati. But, they are also made stuffed which I will cover some other time. If you have surfed internet looking for this recipe, you will notice that pretty much every recipe will be slightly different as every family has a specific way of making it. This is my family's recipe :)


Baati - बाटी  (Wheat Balls - Rolls)


Ingredients
Aata (Whole wheat flour) - 1 cup
Besan (Chick Pea Flour) - 1/4 cup
Sooji (Semolia) - 1 tbsp
Ghee (Clarified Butter) - 1/2 cup (melted to mix in the dough)
Saunf (Fennel Seeds) - 2 tsp crushed coarsely
Ajwain (Carom Seeds) - 2 tsp crushed coarsely
Salt - as per taste
Ghee - 1/4 cup (to brush the baatis before putting them in oven and afterwards before eating)
Preparation
  • Knead firmly by mixing all the ingredients except for ghee that needs to be used to brush later (the last ingredient). Keep it aside.
  • Heat your broiler on Lo.
  • Pinch lemon sized balls out of the dough, make as smooth as a ball as you can and then press it in the middle with the thumb.
  • Brush each baati liberally with ghee and place them on a sheet or pan in the oven on top rack to broil for about 20 minutes flipping them sometime after 10 minutes. Timing may vary depending on your oven. So, keep checking it after 15 minutes and increase or decrease the time. 
  • Once they are nice and golden brown, it means they are done.
Serving
Serve the baatis hot. Before serving, brush the batai with ghee (traditionally, they are dipped in ghee not just brushed and then eaten), but these days we are more health conscious). Serve them with some nice dal. Usually we make Panchmel Dal and Choorma (click on the links to get the recipes which I have shared before). The baatis are broken in 3-4 pieces each (or more depending on the size of the baatis), dipped in dal and enjoyed.


Note: Taking the measurements mentioned above, makes enough baatis for a family of 3-4.


I am submitting this recipe for Divya's "Show me your Whole Grains" event.




OK, that's all for now. Till next post, take care.

38 comments:

Kiran said...

Dear Priya ,
Wheat balls look very delicious.
I have a chain post waiting for you in my blog, please accept it.
Kiran

Simplyfood said...

I have heard alot about this dish but was unaware of preparation till I saw this post.Sounds delicious.Do drop by simply food some time following your blog.

Unknown said...

Thanks Kiran, I will get the chain :)

@simply.food, I have already been following you for a while now :)

Priya Suresh said...

Very new dish for me, its really fantastic to know and to learn these sort of different dishes through blogging, thanks for sharing Priya..

Kalai said...

Hi Priya,
thanx for stopping by, am glad to be ur follower too. I liked the events column, its very helpful for newbies like me.
And I should say, your recipes are unique and well pictured! Just browsing through your blog! Love it.

SS blogs here said...

Hey Priya.. I like that u have baked the baati and used less ghee! Thanks for sharing your family recipe with us! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Priya, Kalai and SS.

@ SS, I try to use as less ghee as I can. For the baatis that I eat, I usually do not put any ghee at the top and only the thing that goes in while mixing the dough and brushing it before placing it in oven. :)

Cooking Foodie said...

Thanks Priya... these were on my request list... I love daal baati... we have friends here in Dallas who make it for us, they too bake the baati... i will be making these at home as well...

Kavita Srivastava said...

Amazing ... I have been wanting to make these for so long ... Bookmarked

Eat2live2travel said...

Oh Wow...I can eat all... :D :D

Your baatis looks so perfect!!!
10 on 10

VK said...

Hi Priya, I love these Baatis and want to give it a try. I'm so happy to know and learn about Rajasthani cuisine as I've heard had a chance to so far. I love any spicy vegetarian cuisine and quite enthusiastic to learn it!
Thanx for hosting the Bookmarked recipes event. Got a chance to participate.

Anonymous said...

Awesome recipe Priya. Planning to try this yummy dish today :D

Mugdha said...

Hi Priya,
first time here and love 2 c so many recipes of my fav list..i heard a lott abt daal bati churma from my rajasthani frnds, and really want 2 give it a try..and now i know hw 2 make this...thanks for the recipe...im following u from 2day onwards..happy cooking..:)
http://mugdha-cookingfundas.blogspot.com/

Mugdha said...

Hi Priya,
first time here and love 2 c so many recipes of my fav list..i heard a lott abt daal bati churma from my rajasthani frnds, and really want 2 give it a try..and now i know hw 2 make this...thanks for the recipe...im following u from 2day onwards..happy cooking..:)
http://mugdha-cookingfundas.blogspot.com/

Deepthi KR said...

hi priya,
you hav a very lovely blog...and wonderful events hosted by....
I love all kinds of rajasthani food.....
your blog is full of my fav food stuff....


You hv got very wonderful sapce....
plz visit my space when time permits...
I'm ur happy follower now......

DeepthiDigvijay
Good Food Recipes
Coffe With Me Deepthi

anushruti said...

This is comfort food for me!

Unknown said...

OMG! Its been ages I have had Dal baati churma...good to see this picture it motivated me to cook this sometime soon.

Simplyfood said...

I tried this when I went to India recently . Seeing this recipe has tempted to make these at home . Do send this to flavours of Rajasthan currently running .

Unknown said...

Awesome Priya!!! Dal-batti-churma is a deadly combo....I simply love it.

Shireen said...

Hi Priya, first time to your blog and I am delighted to see so many Rajasthani authentic dishes - I love Rajasthani food - have had many a meal at Rajdhani restaurant here in Mumbai and always wanted to try some at home too. I am bookmarking this recipe as even the sound of 'dal-baati-churma' is a mouthwatering thought!! I am following u :)

Shireen said...

Priya Guruji, thanks for this brilliant recipe!! I have finally posted the recipe on the blog although I had made it way back in Sep (remember my doubts?) - thanks so much for such a lovely, perfect recipe and for also patiently answering my queries. Posting this recipe took a back seat with all the festive recipes, but it would be a shame if I didn't share it at all! Hugs!
http://ruchikrandhap.blogspot.in/2012/02/daal-baati-five-lentil-soup-unleavened.html

Nadia Asif said...

Hi priya! Awesome blog post. I have created a recipes website too. Check it out and leave your suggestions!
www.cukzy.com

Vini said...

Priya,
The recipe for Dal bati was very helpful. I tried it for the first time and it's been a real success . Everyone just loved it. Thanks a ton!

srinivas said...

If we dont have oven in home, then how to prepare baati.....

srinivas said...

If we dont have oven in home then how to prepare baati.... please help in this regard....

Unknown said...

Hello Srinivas, normally in old days and even now in villages, people use "tandoor" or the clay oven for this purpose. So, that can be an alternative for this.

Srikitchen said...

looks yummy!
regards,
srilekha
http://www.srishkitchen.com/

Unknown said...

delicious super dish.....
I will try it....

sushmita pandit said...

Awesome blog...awesome recipe's....makes me miss India...m following u...we can stay connected..u may find me at Sushmita

Unknown said...

Yummy dish and a tradition one also from land of Rajasthan..... Tasted it in a Jaipur restaurant in 2011 and tried cooking it complete Daal Bati Churma recently. Thanks

Unknown said...

Hii... yesterday morning I went thru ur blog n came across this recp. I tried ur recipe daal bati and choorma.. belive me it was awesum... my family loved it.. thank uuu so much fr this amasing recp n looking fwd to try othr delicious recp frm ur treasure blog :)

Unknown said...

Hii... yesterday morning I went thru ur blog n came across this recp. I tried ur recipe daal bati and choorma.. belive me it was awesum... my family loved it.. thank uuu so much fr this amasing recp n looking fwd to try othr delicious recp frm ur treasure blog :)

Simply Cheerful Food said...

Looks so yummy and mouth watering
Thanks

Simply Cheerful Food said...

Looks so yummy Thanks

Unknown said...

I am looking for churma recipe with twist, in my marriage there were three kinds of churma in menu, I remember gulab churma, please share recipe of this churma....thanks in advance

Unknown said...

Plz tell me How to make bati on charcole grill . thsnks

unnatisilks said...

Good blog. Looks yammi, i definitely try this recipe.

vibrantindiatours said...

Excellent! The best recipe on your blog so far! Love the recipe..Looks so yummy!!
Restaurant in Laxmi Nagar

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails